A diary of our family's house building project in the Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia. Also my ponderings on family life, living with Asperger's Syndrome, running an ebay business & a place to share my photography.

Monday 3 December 2007

Finn's Poem

finn
I've always had a gut feeling that something wasn't quite right with our little boy Finn. He has always been different. But all my kids are "quirky". So at times I've just settled into thinking he is just part of my unusual but lovely family, keeping life interesting! Then other times I lay awake at night wondering what makes him tick, why he is so challenging in his ways. last week a friend mentioned, when I was venting my frustrations over his behaviour, the word "Asperger's".
When I got home I went online & started reading. I ticked all the boxes. Doesn't make friends or relate to his peers. Plays happily with older & younger siblings, older people in general who are familiar to him. Doesn't like change or upset to routine. Has intensely strong emotions. is highly intelligent with a very good vocabulary. Steers away from affection. Is highly imaginative & obsessive in his interests (boats at the moment). He worries about things that a 3 year old should even notice, eg Ivy going near the road or even that possibility will get him screaming in no time. He has peculiar obsessions with a variety of things, eg having to turn the TV off the instant a program has ended & if you try & stop him he will get extremely upset. If you promise him something he will never forget it. If he wants something he will never forget it until he gets it. E.G. wanted a violin for his 3rd birthday & talked about not much else for 2 months beforehand. Is clumsy & motor skills are somewhat delayed, walked at 16 months, still not riding a tricycle at 3 years 4 months. trips & falls constantly. Will often not listen, even when he asks a question, just repeats himself. Has irrational fears, The Hooley Dooleys, lately the Wiggles, he flips out if he knows Ivy is watching them, even if you offer him another activity in another room. They are "scary". I could go on but that covers most of it I think.
Where to go from here???
last night he made up a little poem:




Humpty Dumpty sat in a puddle
poor Humpty
Give him a cuddle





Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and a recent one of Ivy at the park

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

how many visitors have I had?

clustrmap

Followers